This blog follows the property market in Northampton with a particular emphasis on buy-to-let. On here you'll find general commentary about the market, plus properties that may represent decent buys. I own a large estate agency in Northampton and am myself a landlord with an established portfolio. If you're looking to invest, but are unsure what will work best, I'm happy to offer a (free) second opinion. If you have a property to sell I can help with that too! Email richard.baker@belvoir.co.uk

Tuesday 1 November 2016

SOLD £110,000 - FREEHOLD - VIlLLAGE LOCATION - £550 RENT.


This is a FREEHOLD property in a village (Little Billing) location for £110k. It’s a fairly rare commodity and will be very attractive to a tenant. I viewed it myself a short while ago as a potential purchase but ended up going for another property.

It’s a decent buy for someone though, but the purchaser needs to be aware of the following:

·       It’s quirky. Laid out over 3 floors with a very steep staircase. Perhaps not that practical, but will definitely appeal to tenants due to it's uniqueness.

·       It probably needs some money spending – I suspected the current owner had let it go a bit and there were a few jobs required, but nothing that couldn’t quickly be resolved by us. I’d have chipped the asking price down and spent the saving on getting the property as I wanted it. Maybe £112k all in.

·       The freehold situation is unorthodox. As well as the freehold of the house there were freeholds for three other patches of land in the vicinity – all pretty worthless. I suspect this was putting people off, but I don’t see why it should – the house itself is worth £110k so either these bits have no value and can sit there, or (more likely) I’d have tried selling them on to neighbours!

·       Most importantly I can rent this for £550 once it’s been tidied a little – maybe more. And no service charges because it’s freehold. Nearly 6% return?

If you’re insistent on freehold, but also on a budget, I challenge you to find better!
SHARE:
Blog Layout Designed by pipdig